Sports Mania(suscribe us on feeds) Headline Animator

Sports Mania(suscribe us on feeds)

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Roddick, Isner into 2nd round in Shanghai

SHANGHAI (AP)—Andy Roddick and John Isner advanced to the second round of the Shanghai Masters on Tuesday.
Roddick moved on after an ill Philipp Kohlschreiber of Germany retired in the second set. Kohlschreiber stopped while trailing 6-3, 2-1 after missing an easy overhead, shanking a forehand wide and double-faulting to drop his serve.
Isner fought off five match points in the two tiebreakers to defeat Polish qualifier Lukasz Kubot 4-6, 7-6 (9), 7-6 (7). Isner served 24 aces, but failed to break Kubot.
Next up for the 20th-ranked Isner is Roger Federer, who received a bye in the first round.
Roddick is looking to avoid falling out of the year-end top 10 for the first time in nine seasons. The 11th-ranked Roddick reached the Japan quarterfinals last week, his first tournament since an early exit at the U.S. Open.
“I thought I hit the ball well in what we did play today,” Roddick said. “I started to hit the ball pretty well last week, also. I don’t feel like I’m fighting myself out there. After the Open, I was able to train the way I want to for the first time in a while.”
Roddick will face Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain.
Wimbledon finalist Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic defeated Tommy Robredo of Spain 6-0, 6-4, despite battling stomach problems for the past two days.
“I felt quite weak so I was trying to play a little more aggressively, play really risky shots just to try to hang in there,” Berdych said. “I was really lucky. I don’t know what could have happened if I lost the second set.”
Chinese wildcard Yan Bai, ranked 465th, upset 30th-ranked Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic 6-3, 6-4 for his first win on the main tour.
Yan will meet fourth-seeded Andy Murray.
“I have some pressure, of course, because this is my home country,” Yan said. “(Murray) is a very talented player—much better than me. I hope to learn from him in our match.”
David Ferrer rolled past Michael Llodra 7-6 (2), 6-1, while Ivan Ljubicic struggled to beat wildcard Zhang Ze 5-7, 6-3, 6-4.
Janko Tipsarevic stopped Andrey Golubev 6-3, 6-4, and Daniel Gimeno-Traver, a lucky loser who replaced the injured Mardy Fish, rallied past Denis Istomin 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 before rain shortened the schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment